[ale] [OT] congress vote history

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Oct 19 08:17:28 EDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 06:50 pm, Dow Hurst wrote:
>  From my understanding, each broadcaster would have to have an agreement
> with each artist or artist/label denoting the fee structure for the
> right to play.  This creates the problem of hundreds of broadcasters
> needing direct agreements with each artist or artist/label.  I remember
> listening to the plea from one internet radio station asking for any and
> all artists who wanted or currently had their music being played on that
> station to contact the station's management and work up a deal directly
> so the RIAA could be bypassed.  A grassroots movement of artists working
> directly with the internet stations could avoid the RIAA.  This is
> presupposing that the artists haven't sold out and got a "deal" with a
> major label who is part of the RIAA.

I think it's safe to say that very few "good" performers have deals with the
RIAA. If you don't believe me, turn on a radio :)

What I'm thinking is this: there are thousands of musicians in the US who
don't stand a chance of getting a contract with a 'major' label - ever.
Add to that hundreds of thousands in other parts of  the world. Believe it
or not, people in Europe, South America and Asia can produce music
just as easily as someone in LA.

Now, suppose that these people made a demo, and released it as free
material. "Play it, sing it, copy it, pass it around, whatever. There's more
where this one came from. If you want to hear more, buy our CD".
The only 'royalty payment' required would be a mention of where to get
the CD, webcasters could play these without hassle. So could college
stations, etc. The rest of the material on the CD could be as tightly
protected as the artist wanted it to be. Think of it as GPL.

Given the fact that an album has to sell hundreds of thousands of copies
before the performer receives a single cent from the producers/distributors,
I can see how an independent performer would be much better off selling
their own work directly - profit begins when the first CD is burned and
dropped in the mail.  Gee, if they really suck and only sell 100 CDs,
they've still made enough to buy a new amp or something.

Regards,
Irv