[ale] Homeland Security Act - Perhaps I should take up farming?

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Thu Nov 14 14:21:43 EST 2002

Our government databases certainly need optimization and integration.  However, personal privacy does not need to be scuttled to protect this country.

obviously the list is overstated.  NO goverment database is going to store every web site/email that every individual looks at.  same with purchases.  i doubt that is going to happen.

->
->
->> Anyway, for your reading pleasure:
->> You Are a Suspect
->> By WILLIAM SAFIRE
->>
->> WASHINGTON - If the Homeland Security Act is not amended
->before passage,
->> here is what will happen to you:
->>
->> Every purchase you make with a credit card, every magazine
->subscription
->> you buy and medical prescription you fill, every Web site
->you visit and
->> e-mail you send or receive, every academic grade you
->receive, every bank
->> deposit you make, every trip you book and every event you
->attend - all
->> these transactions and communications will go into what the Defense
->> Department describes as "a virtual, centralized grand database."
->>
->> To this computerized dossier on your private life from
->commercial sources,
->> add every piece of information that government has about
->you - passport
->> application, driver's license and bridge toll records, judicial and
->> divorce records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your
->> lifetime paper trail plus the latest hidden camera
->surveillance - and you
->> have the supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information
->Awareness" about every
->> U.S. citizen.
->
->Isn't that just dandy. Remind me again, how many of the 9/11
->hijackers were
->US citizens?
->
->Irv
->
->---
->This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.