[ale] Telephone Recording on Linux (Definitely ON topic)

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Thu Nov 14 14:24:58 EST 2002

Hmm. The simplest solution might be to run it into a cheap tape
recorder, then take the line out from there into the sound card. You
might have to fiddle the controls on the tape recorder to make it think
it was recording. Not elegant, but workable.

I've also used minidiscs for this kind of thing, although I don't tape
phone conversations.

-- CHS
On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 14:19, Chuck Huber wrote:

<<snip>>

> When I plug the audio transducer (Radio Shack device for
> recording telephone conversations to a casette recorder)
> into the MIC jack or LINE IN jack on the sound card, all I get
> is really annoying noise, which includes but is not limited to
> a 60-cycle hum.  Obviously there's an impedence mismatch, or
> the unit is expecting a voltage where there isn't one,
> or something.  Bottom line - it doesn't work on a sound card.
>
> Does anyone know of a device that will allow me to record
> from the telephone to a sound card?

<<snip>>