[ale] Yes, it is possible.

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Nov 4 11:05:07 EST 2002

My radiolinux machine (
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue62/shapiro.html ) went on the fritz a
couple of weeks ago because the Ni-Cad CMOS battery gave up the ghost.
Alas, it was an old '486 with the battery soldered on to the
motherboard. Since it holds 5 ISA cards, including a SCSI card and a PC
Cadet radio card, I did ->not<- want to replace the motherboard and
throw most of the cards (including a $90 SCSI card) away. This machine
is also in charge of  unatttended tape backup on my network, so keeping
it  up is important to me.

So with trepidation in my heart, I embarked on a more dangerous course.
I found the exact battery I needed at ebatts.com
(http://www.ebatts.com), and for $12 they had it out to me in less than
five days.  This past weekend, I made 3 pages of notes and maps as I
disassembled the machine far enough to pull the motherboard from the
case. I then balanced it face-down on a pair of books and unsoldered the
battery from the motherboard. Next, I soldered a pair of miniature
alligator clips attached to little pieces of hookup wire into the holes
where the battery was. After all, no use in replicating someone else's
design mistakes. I clipped the new battery into the clips,
double-checking that I had the new battery in right way 'round. I then
reassembled the whole thing, held my breath and turned it on. It worked
on the very first try. After I left it up for a day, the CMOS clock and
memory performed flawlessly.

And it only took about 3 hours -- I'd budgeted 5 for it.  Plus, I felt
like a GEEK GOD after it worked.

-- CHS