[ale] How does IMAP store subscribed folders?

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue May 14 17:36:43 EDT 2002

Chris Egolf wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can explain this behavior.
>
> I have an IMAP server(imap-2000c) which I access from two different
> machines using Mozilla (1.0rc2).  If I subscribe to a new folder in
> ~/mail on one of the machines, I'm finding that I'm automatically
> subscribed on the other machine when I start Mozilla Mail and vice versa.
>
> I'm glad that it works this way, but I would have thought that the
> 'subscribed folder' information was stored w/in the IMAP client's
> preferences instead of some mysterious location.  I haven't had any luck
> tracking down where this information is stored.

I'm using U.Washington's IMAP server, and there is a ".mailboxlist" in my user's home directory on the IMAP server.  This file stores the subscribed list for Moz.  Since it is on the IMAP server itself, any changes to subscriptions on one client are reflected on any other client.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith