[ale] Force detachment of a process?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Dec 22 18:00:26 EST 2002

Let's say that program A calls korn script B.  Korn script B does some
checking, and optionally backgrounds perl script C ("program.pl > logfile
&").  It appears that korn script B completes right away as it should,
leaving perl script C running in the background.  Unfortunately, control is
never passed back to program A until perl script C exits.

While perl script C is being backgrounded, it isn't being detached from the
parent.  How can I force this?  The only idea I have is for korn script B to
nohup background perl script C, then look up it's own process # and kill
itself.  Would that sever the connection of child C back to parent A?

This is being done on AIX, it it matters, though I presume the principles
 work everywhere.

-E.