[ale] Confusing tag in email

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Sun Dec 22 09:51:46 EST 2002

    James> I was looking at the full source on an email that a client
    James> wants to do (HTML to his mailing list customers -yes,
    James> really opt in mailing list) and I keep seeing "3D" show up
    James> in front of the tag values. I would expect %20, but I don't
    James> know what "3D" was _supposed_ to be. Yes the original was
    James> written^H^H^H barfed out from M$ word.

    James> width=3D540 style=3D'width:405.0pt;
    James> mso-cellspacing:0in;mso-padding-alt:0in 0in 0in 0in'>

It actually has nothing specifically to do with M$-ASCII, it's MIME
quoted printable encoding which uses `=XX' to encode non-ASCII (and
other non-printable) characters.  Since quoted printable is rather
simplistic, it presumes every = will be followed by two hex digits.
The ASCII code for `=' is 61 (aka 0x3D), so any `=' in the text get
changed to `=3D' when encoded.

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=