[ale] Any PCI modem suggestions?

Mark Shewmaker mark at primefactor.com
Mon Dec 16 13:58:42 EST 2002

Does anyone have suggestions or even know of any fully-hardware based
V.92 PCI modem that has circuitry to protect it against being plugged
into a digital PBX line and is firmware upgradeable in linux?

Any suggestions?

Years ago I upgraded a USR Courier by sending it a firmware file via
xmodem.  Nowadays companies seem to only want to provide a monolithic
MS-Windows-only executable to do updates.  I can't figure out why no one
seems to also provide an OS-agnostic method to do the same thing, such
as USR's old xmodem method.

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark at primefactor.com

(Apologies for the future double-post.  My first version of this
question should probably eventually make it to the list--I had sent it
off Saturday before updating my list email, but it's still being held
for moderator approval.)