[ale] RAID5 chunksize?

tslane at attbi.com tslane at attbi.com
Tue Dec 10 14:19:16 EST 2002

what kind of controller? (AMI, IBM, etc.)

I believe more cache on the RAID card (assume you're not doing soft 5 if
performance is critical) will buy you a lot more performance for random writes
than chunk size.  FWIW, I've had good luck w/AMI MegaRAID.  IBM's (formerly
Mylex) used to be (much) faster but were extremely unstable on Linux although
eith or both of these may have changed since last summer when I was going
through this.

my advice is to get the controller with the biggest cache you can afford.

what say ye all?