[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Dec 10 09:02:01 EST 2002

aaron wrote:
> On Monday 09 December 2002 10:21, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Currently there is no way to send email to the original poster without
>>explicitly typing their email addr into the window.  That to me sucks.
>

> That does sound awkard... but the complaint you express isn't being
> reproduced here with Kmail as the client (v1.3.1).

If you're referring to what other's have indicated, that selecting
respond to all sends email to the From: and the Reply-to:, then as I've
noted in previous posts, this does not follow the rfcs.

> (Which additionally allows the user right click on any address displayed
> in the message window and choose to "Send to..." "Send reply to..." or "
> Forward to...." that address.)

I use mozilla, I can select the email addr from the header, but only to
send email, not forward the current message.

>>[snip]
>>2nd, is selecting reply would reply to the list, selecting reply-all
>>would send email to the list and the poster.  I would prefer this much
>>over the current situation referenced above.
>>[snip]
>

> I think this is exactly how the current settings are already working.
> It is at least how they're working with Kmail:
> REPLY addresses TO:  [Reply_To address]
>     [Reply_To address]
> + [From address (poster)]
> + [CC addresses]
>
> My recollection from when I followed similar group lists with Pine as my
> client is that the Reply / Reply All behaved about the same way.

Then I would suggest that there are a large number of mail clients out
there that are broken, as far as the rfcs are concerned.

I personally agree with the rfcs in that if there is a reply-to, then
email should not be sent to the From: in any situation, unless you
explicitly add that addr. yourself.  Otherwise, it undermines the intent
of the reply-to:.

You understand that it does not make sense for a mail client to send
email to the From: when the sender explicitly created a reply-to: addr,
basically saying, I don't want email to the From: addr.  A client should
not ignore this.

>>I'm leaning toward #2.
>

> Which, according to several responses that hit the list since completing
> of this note was postponed, seems to be the way it is currently set up
> and functioning with most mail clients.
>
> It may not be consensus or even democracy, but most of the replies from
> those who responded seem to suggest we leave it as is and help the few
> that have annoyances posting to authors privately with their mailer find
> a work around.

It's not a work around, as those mailers are working properly.  Folks
may like the fact that reply-all sends email to the From as well as the
reply-to, but this is broken.  It should not do this.

That being said, I've not seen any list configured in such a way that
would easily accomodate all clients, including those that work properly. :)

Point is, you'd have to substantially munge the headers, setting the
From: the list addr., to: the list addr., and a to: or cc: addr. of the
poster.  I don't know how difficult this would be to do.

So, at this point, I'd say leave well enough alone.  Those of us who are
using a mail client that follows the rfcs strictly, will have to deal
with the pain of responding to an individual.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...