[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Dec 10 05:57:07 EST 2002

aaron wrote:
> On Monday 09 December 2002 10:21, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Currently there is no way to send email to the original poster without
>>explicitly typing their email addr into the window.  That to me sucks.
>

> That does sound awkard... but the complaint you express isn't being
> reproduced here with Kmail as the client (v1.3.1).
>
> (Which additionally allows the user right click on any address displayed
> in the message window and choose to "Send to..." "Send reply to..." or "
> Forward to...." that address.)
>

>>[snip]
>>2nd, is selecting reply would reply to the list, selecting reply-all
>>would send email to the list and the poster.  I would prefer this much
>>over the current situation referenced above.
>>[snip]
>

> I think this is exactly how the current settings are already working.
> It is at least how they're working with Kmail:
> REPLY addresses TO:  [Reply_To address]
>     [Reply_To address]
> + [From address (poster)]
> + [CC addresses]

Netscape 7.0 does not act this way either.  The [Reply_to] is substituted for the [From] address, even when doing a Reply-All.

and by RFC 822, it should not go to the "From" address.

4.4.4.  AUTOMATIC USE OF FROM / SENDER / REPLY-TO
        o   If the "Reply-To" field exists, then the reply  should
            go to the addresses indicated in that field and not to
            the address(es) indicated in the "From" field.

> My recollection from when I followed similar group lists with Pine as my
> client is that the Reply / Reply All behaved about the same way.
>

>>I'm leaning toward #2.
>

> Which, according to several responses that hit the list since completing
> of this note was postponed, seems to be the way it is currently set up
> and functioning with most mail clients.
>
> It may not be consensus or even democracy, but most of the replies from
> those who responded seem to suggest we leave it as is and help the few
> that have annoyances posting to authors privately with their mailer find
> a work around.

Interesting bits:
http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199802/msg00207.html

--