[ale] malicious make scripts

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Dec 2 23:37:21 EST 2002

Has there ever been a case of someone being bitten by a malicious make
script?

I'm usually careful to examine what something I've downloaded will do, but
have lately found myself becoming a bit lazy.  It occurs to me that there
are many out in the big, bright world who never check make scripts.  It
would seem the ideal place to put malicious code, as you often have to run
make install or the like as root.  It would seemingly be easy to insert a
rm -fR / in the script...or am I missing something?

Just interested ;-).

Thanks,

John