[ale] guess I am screwed, eh?

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Sun Aug 25 00:48:13 EDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 08:44:30PM -0400, Cade Thacker wrote:

Hi Cade,

Yes, you are screwed.  Your starting salary as BS in CS can only
command a salary maybe twice of a business analyst or project
manager, instead of three times or more.

You will be asked to do the impossible like solving NP-complete
problems, while your business analyst or project manager
counterpart has no clue and just plunge all of the company's
resources into a blackhole.

You will also be expecting to produce robust applications while
your counterparts with a tech certification are having fun with
deadlocks in threading.  Your boss may also expect you to use
some types of development methodologies like extreme programming or
design patterns for rapid prototyping, while your tech certified
friends are allowed to brute-force anything and are happy to
declare victory even if their applications break everything else.
"Memory leaks?  It is easy, just reboot the server everyday."

And you will become bewildered and ask your business analyst and
project manager friends why don't they do data modeling before
making a multi-million dollar commitment.  "Well!  Dr. Ha did not
really going into details at school, except he kept mumbling about
ERD, normalization, DK/NF, ..."

And you will also feel miserable and keep wondering why can't I be
like Fastow, a good example what a business degree can do to one's
fortune.

But, then I don't know what I am talking either, since my degrees
are in Chemical Engineering.

Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 980-3805
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38