[ale] Running Windows programs on Linux (with sound support)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 24 23:25:12 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:

<snip>

> I spoke with the director the first day and he's open to switching to
> alternatives next semester, but I still need the Power Point/IE support
> this semester.

I'd question the need for IE to determine that it is something specific
to IE.

> That being said, I'll take any suggestions from you guys to him.  We're
> currently using two programs...Tegrity and Interwise.  I think they
> really only need something that provides video, audio, slides, 2-way
> communication, and text chat.  Something that works well on both
> platforms will probably fly.  However, I think we need a real solution,
> not a hack (unless it's a very creative one ;)).

You might check out vic for video/audio stuff.  Slides, can be done by
Applixware, although that cost $$, I don't know about open office.  Does
it have to be 'compatible' with Powerpoint, or just a slide generating
program.  With a bit of javascript, you can do slides with any browser.

What about vmware?  They used to have a student price.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net