[ale] upgrade RH7.2 to RH7.3

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Aug 21 00:08:30 EDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

> miguel wrote:
> > Hello alers
> >
> > I am planning to upgrade my gateway RH7.2(using ipchains) to RH7.3(will
> > use iptables). This will be my first linux-type upgrade...so a I am
> > looking for a few 'heads ups and/or tips...
>
> I personally, never upgrade.  I backup user info and critical data info
> (/etc,...) and do a complete new install.  A couple of reasons for this
> approach.
>
> 1. I've heard some real nightmares regarding upgrades.

Well, I cann't tell any nightmares, but upgrades don't seem to be as
smooth as I would like either.

> 2. If you're doing something as substantial as an upgrade, you should be
> backing your box up anyway.
> 3. It's great opportunity to clean out some clutter, and to insure
> consistency in your install.

_Now_ you're talking. Everything I have, even if I _claim_ I'm going to
not futz with, gets futzed with. Cruft and missteps everywhere. Doing the
full install and getting rid of my learning droppings helps clean things
up. I do leave the /home directory alone tho - and that is turning into an
Agean Stables type headache.

> > tia
> > -mig
> >

> > ---
> > should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ingnorance
                   Author Unknown