[ale] internal net routing

Jonathan Glass jbjrglass at cox.net
Mon Aug 19 18:08:43 EDT 2002

Do you have an internal DNS server, or hosts entries pointing to your
internal IP addresses?  If not, then your machines will try to connect
to your smoothwall's external interface, and try to NAT back in to the
server.  The server will see the connection coming from  your local IP
address (maybe) and try to send data there.  Causes all sorts of
problems.  Basically, setup an internal DNS server and make it think it
is the SOA for your domain and force your internal machines to use it
for all DNS lookups.  Also, be sure to set it to use your ISP's DNS as
forwarder servers.

GL & HTH

Jonathan