[ale] Ximian Evolution (was: Re: [ale] Stupid M$ windows crappysoftware %#$^*()

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 13 23:01:29 EDT 2002

I suspect the error is clearly on the outlook side. The signature will
be seen as an attachment by outlook. It is too stupid to correctly
handle plain text mail with embeded MIME encoding without using IE to
render html.

A trick is to get your recipients to install the PGP software and it
will work OK as text.

Out of a complete lack of respect for Microsoft, I refuse to use HTML
for email. If I can't make my point with simple text, I probably am too
stupid to really be using a machine with more CPU power than what was
used to send humans to the moon.

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 22:45, Eric Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 22:14, Jordi S. Bunster wrote:
> > Though, what I found really neat,
> > is it support for the gnu privacy guard. I know I may sound like a
> > Microsoft Windows user, but for example, James's message showed a small
> > lock at the bottom. When I clicked on it, it downloaded the key, and
> > checked the message against it, showing me gnupg's output. Also, saved
> > the key here, of course.
>
> Speaking of Evolution's handling of gpg, I have a question related to
> that. I set up Evolution to sign my messages going out. Then when
> testing it out I found that my message shows up as an attachment in
> Outlook Express. I searched around on the internet and from what I have
> read this is basically a bug in how Outlook Express handles the
> messages.
>
> The solution given is to send messages as HTML messages. This seems to
> fix the problem, but now when I send a test message to myself, and click
> on the "lock" button gpg response that the signature is invalid. When I
> send a message to myself to test as plain text it return that the
> signature is valid.
>
> So what I am wondering is what is the best way to send signed mail so
> that it works right in most e-mail clients receiving the message as well
> as returns that the signature is correct by Evolution when sending a
> test message to myself (I am assuming that if it says invalid when I
> send a test message to myself then it will say invalid to other people).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> --
> Eric Anderson

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>