[ale] partition hell

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 1 10:23:07 EDT 2002

My Linux hard drive finally died (never again for Western Digital!). Now
I'm trying to partition my existing drive for Linux. My preferred tool
is parted on boot and root disks. But I can't for the life of me get a
good write of the images to disk using rawrite. It pretends to do
something, but nothing gets written to the disk. If I try fips, it says
it can't work with a system flag of 55h and exits. If I try to boot to
DOS only from Win98, I get a prompt and then a message about my
soundcard and I can't get back to the prompt from there. At this point,
I'm almost ready to nuke the entire drive and start over. Any suggestions?