[ale] mass deployment

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 16 11:35:10 EST 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 20:11, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> I can't comment on the Windows machines other than to say that Ghost and
> Drive Image are reputed to both work quite well, providing the hardware
> is reasonably similar.
>
> On the Linux front, in RedHat's case there's the  'kickstart' which is
> essentially a 'stick a floppy in a machine, come back in an hour and
> it's all done' process.  It's in the docs on redhat's site.  Other
> distros probably have a similar mechanism.

Another useful package that I can wholeheartedly endorse is
SystemImager. Lets you take an existing linux box and push it out to
other machines that boot from a floppy or cdrom. Very nice. We've used
it the last couple years at the Linux Showcase to image the couple dozen
machines that we use for the Linux in Action booth. Very nice. Latest
version supports ext3 as well. Bewarned that it does have some issues
with the grub boot loader but those will probably be worked out soon.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Glory lasts forever."