[ale] Hardware Alias

stephen stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Thu Nov 15 12:52:06 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 12:07:16PM -0500, Matt Shade wrote:
> I don't know how to do it, but MAC aliasing (spoofing) is a security
> risk/breach. So you probably want to look into cracking software or maybe
> changing security code. I don't think there's any distro available to allow
> you to do what you're asking.
> Some NICs allow you to use the DOS utilities disk to change the MAC address,
> but that's not on the fly, and requires a reboot.

I'm still a little confused here.  Are we talking about maintaining
a table of multiple MAC addresses for a given interface or just
modifying a single MAC address for a given interface.  Provided that the
NIC supports it, you can modify the MAC address.  I think ifconfig
has a [hw] switch to do this.  If you wanted to program it, see
SIOCSIFHWADDR in netdevice(7).  In the case of maintaining a table
of MAC addresses, I'm not sure if this is implemented or, if so,
what it's called.

stephen

P.S. Of course, note that modifying a MAC is not persistent across
reboots.