[ale] Hardware Alias

Stephen J. Pellicer spellicer at itillious.com
Thu Nov 15 12:42:41 EST 2001

There are completely legitimate uses of setting a particular MAC address for
a NIC or accepting arbitrary MAC addresses in a NIC. VRRP for high
availability uses a form of virtual MAC to do its job. Using static MAC
addresses is useful for the hardcore security heads who don't pass arp on a
segment and hardcode their arp tables on the devices.