[ale] Anybody upgraded RedHat6.x->7.x Successfully?..............

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Nov 13 16:27:31 EST 2001

There have been some improvements between 6.2 and 7.1-2. SCSI raid was
one of them. I have not had good luck installing over/upgrading a major
number increase with RedHat. 6.0->6.1->6.2 all upgraded OK. 6.x->7.x I
would be leary of. There are a _LOT_ of library changes.

You can install X-4  by itself from a binary install only. The xfree
website has some locations. You will need to know the glibc version you
have.

Then again, it may be easier to back up all you data, /home, /etc/*, and
other hard-to-redo areas to tape, VERIFY THEY ARE GOOD BACKUPS(!!!) and
do a fresh install. You can select and setup raid5 from the "custom"
installation method. I don't think the shipping kernel supports
root-on-raid (which is a problem IMHO). At least it didn't in 7.1.

If you've got vmware, you can test the installation process before you
trash a box.

There is no better a tool set for a system upgrade than verified tape
backups, no after-work date scheduled, a large bottle of antacid, and a
junior admin to blame if it goes wrong:)