[ale] Trying to use minicom and get a console connection

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Tue Nov 13 13:07:01 EST 2001

No dual boot; different PCs.

I'm not at all sure the serial port is configured correctly (since I
don't know how :-(   ).

# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

# cat /proc/interrupts
            CPU0
   0:     898219          XT-PIC  timer
   1:      11474          XT-PIC  keyboard
   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   4:        157          XT-PIC  serial
   5:        360          XT-PIC  Allegro
   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  10:      11682          XT-PIC  Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card
Cardbus Controller, Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
(#2), eth0
  11:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
  12:      77037          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
  14:      49614          XT-PIC  ide0
  15:      34772          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

# ls -al /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     uucp       4,  64 Nov 13 11:54 /dev/ttyS0

I've been trying this as root.   Thanks......gene