[ale] Compaq Presario 1240

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Nov 13 13:01:01 EST 2001

The ATAPI cdrom's are now setup as "ide-scsi" CD's so that the burners
will work. Now cdrecord can "see" the CDROM and people can burn CD's
from a fresh install of RedHat. Used to be, it was required to build a
kernel that would support ide-scsi. It was easier to put all the atapi
stuff into the generic scsi mode, compile it into the kernel and stop
getting all the "how do I burn CD's" question.

The only headache is if a real scsi CD gets added later. It will become
the scdx, where x is the scsi ID, and the atapi will move to accomodate
it.