[ale] RTFM

Arafat Mohamed abmtek at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 11:53:00 EST 2001

Since we're adding answers to commonly asked questions, I thought it
might be usefull to put down my trials with smbfs.

1) I made a newbie mistake. I tried to mount onto a dir that didn't
exist. Make sure that if I try
mount -t smbfs //winmachine/share /winshare
I have to make sure /winshare exists.
The fact that I overlooked this obvious problem is a sign of my
frustration at the time.

2) I did an apt-get install samba thinking this would give me all the
files I need. I was wrong.
I also had to apt-get install smbfs which gives me smbmount and
mount.smbfs

I appreciate everyone who helped me especially Michael Golden who was
willing to take this off the list by mailing me in private and helping
me out. Without the help of Michael I wouldn't have figured out the
second part.

Just so you guys know, I did read the FAQs and did a google search.
After 2 days with no advance is when I decided to post to ALE. Yes the
members of ALE don't want their time wasted by having to answer stupid
questions. But sometimes you have to give the poster the benefit of the
doubt and maybe concede that they weren't able to find the answer by
themselves. Just remember that everyone started somewhere and it's
easier to ask someone than to decrypt insane amounts of FAQs and man
pages.

Just as it is frustrating to find the same questions over and over on
the list, I'm sure it's just as frustrating to some to have to read a
message with nothing more than RTFM.