[ale] 3Com905/DHCP problem - HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!! (\'m drowning over here)

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 00:34:28 EST 2001

I don't know if this is a normal failure mode for Ethernet cards
in general, but I've had two different Netgear cards give up the
ghost, and the first symptom was that they became unable to
receive broadcast packets. Since DHCP uses IP broadcasts to
exchange address information, DHCP failures occurred. They still worked,
for a while, if I configured an IP address manually, but within a
month or so of the DHCP problems turning up, they both quit working
entirely :-(

-- Joe

"I. Herman" wrote:

> Yeah...as a Matter of fact, I just pulled it out of another Linux box
> earlier today (system was installed w/ the card already in there).  That box
> was running older stuff (Mandrake 7.0).
>
> When I try to do ifup eth0  and it tries to get the DHCP info I do see a few
> flashes, but that's bout it.
>
> > Hmmm... Very interesting.  I have been using that card for a while now and
> have had no problems.  As a matter of fact all distro\'s that I have played
> with have auotconfigured this card without a problem.
> >
> > Have you tried it in a windows box to see if it works properly?  and
> before actually trying to obtain a lease through dhcp, have you tried
> bringing the nic up and down via ifconfig and watching to see if it sees any
> packets on the network?
> >
> > -Patrick

-- Joe Knapka
"It was just a maddened crocodile hidden in a flower bed. It could
 have happened to anyone." -- Pratchett
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *