[ale] NT workstation permissions w/samba server

Mike mnelson at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 23 19:04:05 EST 2001

It won't help to tell Linux/Samba that they want to have admin rights.
Even in a pure NT environment the PDC can't grant a user local admin rights.
The only way a person can have Administrator rights to do admin stuff on a NT
workstation is they're listed on that workstation's Administrators group.

One way is for you to go to each workstation and login with the local
administrator account (You did change the name, didn't you?), open User
Manager and add that person's id, domain id, or domain group (such as
"<domainname>/Domain Administrators").

Also, you can add and remove user id's to the Administrator group using
Perl's Win32 extensions (which you are going to want to learn anyway to
remotely administer your Windows computers).
You should go to the Barnes and Noble public library and thumb through
"Windows NT Win32 Perl Programming: The Standard Extensions" by Dave Roth

it's something like this perl scrap -

Use Win32::NetAdmin;
(looping login)
$ComputerName = "grumpy";
$Group = "Administrators";
$UserID = "bob";
Win32:NetAdmin::LocalGroupAddUsers( "\\\\$ComputerName", "$Group", "$UserID";
)

The machine executing the script has to have the name and password as the
existing Administrator's account  on each workstation.
You can also use the perl Win32 extensions to change every workstation's
local admin and user passwords whenever you feel like it without having to
visit them all.

There's also a kludgey way to remotely administer users from a NT workstation
using the scheduler service and the "net user" command.