[ale] Is NTFS RO??

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Mar 14 16:49:33 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 04:34:34PM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I helped a friend install Linux on his desktop.  It also has NTFS
> partions.  When he attemps to mount and write to them, it says
> permission denied.  Permission bits seem OK.  I recall a while back that
> NTFS was RO, is that still true?

> This is a 2.2.17 kernel.

	It is still true, sort of....

	There is a R/W option for NTFS but it is only available if you
enabled "Experimental" kernel options and it is marked "Dangerous".
You can read that as in "it will destroy your file system, your hard
drive, your family life, and your future prospects for reproduction."
Seriously, it FREQUENTY corrupts NTFS file systems irrecoverably.  It's
extremely experimental and should not be used by anyone who does not
know what they are doing or who values anything on that partition.

> Thanks,
> Jim.

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/