[Fwd: Re: [ale] routing questions]

Paul Kinsley paul at motionrealityinc.com
Wed Mar 14 16:41:28 EST 2001

 > Does this make sense?
 >
 > I do a traceroute from machine a.b.c.d to e.f.g.h.  In the output of the
 > traceroute I see machine i.j.k.l
 >
 > I can ping i.j.k.l from m.n.o.p.
 >
 > Can I assume that I should be able to set my default gw to i.j.k.l in
 > order to get from m.n.o.p to a.b.c.d.
 >

 > Sorry, it really did seem a lot simpler then that.
 >
 > --
 > Until later: Geoffrey        esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
 >
 > "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
 > The
 > latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to
 > hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
 > intelligence."
 > - Albert Einstein
message body.

your default gateway must be a host on a network you are physically
connected to.
So you would want your default gw to be   X.n.o.p.  If the machine
X.n.o.p knows how to get to a.b.c.d, and a.b.c.d. knows how to get BACK to
X.n.o.p then you are done.

Uhn, make that m.n.o.X.

--
Paul Kinsley