[ale] modem set-up, love to hate it

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 23:17:18 EST 2001

Two things:

(1) You almost certainly have two serial ports built into
your motherboard (if this is not the case I'll eat... well,
something unexpected). They will be configured as ttyS00 and
ttyS01 unless you disable them in the BIOS settings (there's
probably a "built-in peripherals" menu or something when you
enter the BIOS setup screens at boot time).

(2) If you've got a Plug-n-Pray device, it *must* be configured
properly before you can use it. If you don't let the kernel
or isapnp assign the device an IRQ and IO ports, you lose.
If your box has a PnP BIOS it will try to configure all the
PnP devices it finds, I think, and in that case I expect the
kernel would use the BIOS settings (so you shouldn't need
to worry about it), but I'm not sure.

I don't even know if the 2.4 PnP stuff works; I know the
earlier kernel PnP support was pretty twitchy, so I always
just used isapnp. This is not very simple or well-documented,
but it works, and I'm sure folks on the list can help you
out if need be.

HTH,

-- Joe