[ale] modem set-up, love to hate it

Sage morrigu_irm at springmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:03:13 EST 2001

And here again is another nasty.

Bought a new box last week. Installed Mandrake 7.2, which I will probably run over with Slackware. The GUI is MUCH too, well, fluffy.

ANYWAY, once installed, dmesg showed a ttyS00, a ttyS01, and a isapnp modem (Ack!). ttyS00 is on/at IRQ4 (I am thinking this is the mouse), and ttyS01 is at IRQ3 (which I had thought was supposed to be the modem).

Ditzed the pnp crap immediately. Tried every combo of tty's on the hardware, even tried changing the IRQ to 9 (when I did that, the system changed it back to three upon rebooting, anyone know why?). The system recognizes the new port setting, but will not put the IRQ where I set it on the hardware.

What on earth could ttyS01 be? It is causing a "Conflict I/O...2f8" error message from the BIOS, before LILO comes up. I assume here that is because two of the IRQ's are the same. I have checked, and my husband has checked again, and there is nothing else on a serial port, except the mouse. I keep getting "modem is busy" msg.

It is NOT a winmodem, had to pay extra for that, too. It is a TI, 56K V.90/X2.

Can anyone help me out here, or should I just take the stupid thing out to the back yard and shoot it?

Any help would be appreciated. I've called several friends who are Linux users, and they haven't a clue.

Thanks.

-Indira