[ale] More Flash stuff

Tommie M. Jones tj at atlantageek.com
Thu Mar 8 10:28:28 EST 2001

I've looked into Flash somewhat here at work.  I've even worked a little
with the swift library for C and wrote some simple (wrap gif images with
flash) programs.

It is really cool.  The functionality it provides fills in some big gaps.
For example:

Flash 5 supports rudimentary Sockets.  They call them XML Sockets.  Hit a
button on your website and a daemon detects it and responds.  All this
without reloading a web page.

It is also somewhat interesting to note that there is better flash support
than HTML 4 support on linux.

I think that business applications should take flash seriously.  Flash can
become a nice generic client for business client/server applications.
What is needed is a flash development tool dedicated to this that is not
so...Flashy.

http://www.atlantageek.com
Get inside Atlanta's Tech scene