[ale] eternet card problems

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Mar 7 18:21:23 EST 2001

Pull one card and boot several times. Put it back and pull the other and
boot several times. Compare log notices. This will eliminate if it is a
bad card.

Double check that the modules are loading properly woth the correct
IRQ/address for the cards you think is eth0. If both cards are PnP, the
one closest to the CPU will be assigned (usually) the lowest base address
and will load first.

If the symptoms are erratic, I suspect a connection problem. Pull the
cards, clean the contact area with and erasure and reinsert.

If that won't work, get a new card of a different brand and replace one of
the eepro's. The driver is supposed to support multiple instances as far
back as kernel 2.2.0.