[ale] problems with getpwent()

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Mon Mar 5 16:56:13 EST 2001

I've
seemed to have missed /etc/nsswitch.conf
<SPAN
class=437114721-05032001>
<SPAN
class=437114721-05032001>getpwent() retuens NULL and errno is set to
Success.    anyone have any thoughts?
<SPAN
class=437114721-05032001>
<SPAN
class=437114721-05032001>Chris
<SPAN
class=437114721-05032001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chris Fowler
  [mailto:ChrisF at computone.com]Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 4:42
  PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale] problems with
  getpwent()
  Help,
  I'm trying to create a small based distribution that will run
  over the network onto a development workstation.  My base is rdhat 7.0
  and I'm having problems
  with the passwd program.  I do have an /etc/passwd and
  everytime I try to runn passwd, I get Can't locate username: No such file or
  directory.  SO I wrote the small piece of code below to test it and I
  error out with "No such file or directory".  If I look in /etc there is a
  passwd file.
  I'm not using shadow nor do I wan to and I'm not use
  PAM.  I have compile login-utils to not use pam nor shadow.  Is
  there anything eles the getpwent()
  needs?
  Thanks, Chris
  ------- pas.c ----------- #include
  <pwd.h> #include <sys/types.h>
  #include <unistd.h> #include
  <stdio.h>
  void main(void) <FONT
  size=2>{         <FONT
  size=2>struct passwd *pass;
          if ((pass =
  getpwent()) == NULL)
  {
          <FONT
  size=2>perror("pas.c");
          exit(1);
          }
          <FONT
  size=2>printf("pass->pw_name: %s\n",pass->pw_name); <FONT
  size=2>}