[ale] problems with getpwent()

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Mon Mar 5 16:42:26 EST 2001

Help,

I'm trying to create a small based distribution that will run over the network onto a development workstation.  My base is rdhat 7.0 and I'm having problems

with the passwd program.  I do have an /etc/passwd and everytime I try to runn passwd, I get Can't locate username: No such file or directory.  SO I wrote the small piece of code below to test it and I error out with "No such file or directory".  If I look in /etc there is a passwd file.

I'm not using shadow nor do I wan to and I'm not use PAM.  I have compile login-utils to not use pam nor shadow.  Is there anything eles the getpwent()

needs?

Thanks,
Chris

------- pas.c -----------
#include <pwd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

void
main(void)
{
        struct passwd *pass;

        if ((pass = getpwent()) == NULL)
        {
                perror("pas.c");
                exit(1);
        }
        printf("pass->pw_name: %s\n",pass->pw_name);
}