[ale] opinions needed

Mike Kachline kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
Thu Mar 1 10:02:09 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, I. Herman wrote:

> What would you all do:
>
> My libs are fragged for one reason or the other.  I have 3 distros @
> home...need to keep my /home directory should i re-install/upgrade or
> what...

	Herman,

	Been there, done that. In my experience of installing lots of
stuff (and often, breaking lots of stuff) I learned to do as follows:

	* Keep /home on it's own partition, or (even better) on it's own
drive. Taking a drive and having two primary partitions (one for /home,
one for swap) has worked well for me.

	* Keep /usr/local on it's own partition (or drive). Most apps
which you compile and install wind up in /usr/local. A distro re-install
where /usr/local is on the same disk as the distro usually results in
losing all of the stuff which has taken months to find, compile and
install.

				- Mike
Michael Kachline
mailto:kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net