[ale] ethernet switch issues

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jun 13 13:47:23 EDT 2001

SAngell at nan.net wrote:

> I am sure this may seem overly obvious but have you tried a crossover cable
> between the suspect NIC and another station that is working properly? I have
> personally never seen "cheap" cables cause problems unless they were noticeably
> defective or were used over distances close to max.
>
> I would first suggest using a crossover cable and trying simple pings to verify
> that both NICs are functioning. Do not always assume that if the lights are on
> that someone is home. NICS, especially cheaper ones, only see that there is
> traffic on the lines. This could be ANY traffic.  I have used some Netgear
> products in the past with no problems so I doubt that it is the switch causing
> your problems. What were you using as a connection point before the switch? Or
> is this your first attempt to network these stations?

Sorry, I should have shared the whole story.  I posted regarding these
problems before.

Anyway, I have a 5 port hub that I'm attempting to replace with the
switch, therefore I know these cards are functional.  The main
difference is the hub is 10baseT, whereas the switch is autosensing.
Both network cards are 10/100 autosensing as well.  The switch indicates
that both cards are at 100, full duplex, yet I get no communication
between the two.  On two occasions, when attempting to telnet from one
to the other, I have gotten a partical prompt, but no go.  In most
cases, I just get a 'no route to host' error.

So, the suspect issues are the switch, and/or these cards properly
autosensing to 100, but both cards have leds on the back which indicate
that they are going to 100/full duplex.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com