[ale] dragonlinux

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 30 19:11:18 EDT 2001

Hi alers,
Friend of mine downloaded a linux distro from a site by the name of
www.dragonlinux.org, which claims that there is no need for
repartitioning your drive to make room for the distro.  Since he was a
newbie, I tried to help him to get the thing in his machine. It runs
under MS windows, uses loadlin and appears to be based on a Slakware 7.1
distribution.  It seems to carve out a section  (2 GB) of an existing
msdos partition  and put a linux filesystem on it, as well as a swap
file. Whatever it does, it does not show up under fdisk, which lists
just a msdos partition on /dev/hda1. Installation went smooth, following
a readme file. Eventually one gets a basic linux console, with minimal
functionality. Of course my friend wants an X-window system, but  the
"xf86config" file which let you do this, was not even there! Neither was
X, although there was an empty link pointing to it. His download seemed
complete, 740 MB, and we installed everything; he has plenty room on his
drive (30 free GB) and 256 MB Ram.
Needless to say, my friend was rather disappointed, not a good
experience for a newbie. It seems to me that he may still have to get
the Slakware 7.1 to complete the installation.
Anybody out there with some experience with this distro? Any
help/comments are appreciated.
Cor van Dijk