[ale] Secure FTP?

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Fri Jul 27 01:08:04 EDT 2001

djinn at djinnspace.com wrote:

> Background: we have a handful of clients who require FTP access to their
> web sites hosted on our machine.   Up till now, I've used MuddleFTP for
> these people, which does a fantastic job of locking them in their home
> directories, and set their shell to /dev/null so that all they can do is
> ftp in.
> It's been working OK, and I love Muddle and think it does a superior job
> as an FTP daemon.  However, I'm  trying to do the Right Thing and
> eliminate FTP from my machine altogether and only do file transfer thru
> openSSH.   I know that there are a tiny handful of clients for Mac (non
> osX) and I can find several decent looking ones for windows, so that's
> one part of the battle won.

> My quandry is, my boss uses Edit+ and I've contacted the company to see
> if they support direct edit via SFTP, but I doubt they do.  Does anyone
> know of any windows and/or mac editors that basically function like
> Emacs??   If anyone has any advice either about my migration to SFTP or
> the editor question, it's much appreciated.

The "non openSSH" has, I believe, clients for just about anything, including
MACs, EvilEmpire, VMS, Palms, and *ix.

I recommend using some form of either SSH or SSL to protect the data and,
especially, passwords.  I rather like sftp and scp.  Accept that most of
your clients will be on a LAN that is vulnerable to sniffing.

> TIA
> jenn

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com                           [Please use for email to me]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"