[ale] Secure FTP?

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Thu Jul 26 22:24:26 EDT 2001

> I know this is getting OT, but it's interesting, and relates to
something a
> peer has in the works at work. (ssh and a secured ftp server). I've a
> feeling
> it's a headache in the making as the external ftp customers are not
computer
> savvy.
>
> Thanks.
> -fgz

Unless you use the oft-abused file upload with php or something similar,
how
could your external clients ftp *to* the browser-based-ftp-over-ssl?
The whole
crux of the problem for me at least is that I want to maintain security,
and my
users want to drag-n-drop. :)

Thanks to everyone for all the discussion about this...it's pointed me
in some
good directions and is much appreciated.
I'm still trying to decide what to do.  My company is developing a
content
management system, with the hopes of having all our customers using it
by end of
year, so hopefully the FTP problem will be solved and a whole new,
insidious,
more evil and nightmarish problem of secure programming will take its
place.
Woohoo!! :)

jenn