[ale] network puzzle

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 26 21:28:59 EDT 2001

Scott Sandholm wrote:

> A Puzzle:
>
> I have two Center Com MR124 micro repeaters and RJ45 cables.
> All combinations work great at one end of my network :) But
> at the other end I can not get the link light to light and I
> get no network connection :( You say the network card in the
> computer! But when I connect the computer up to Jim
> Stiener's SOHO (EZ-H5) 5 port ethernet hub all is happy :)
> What am I missing?
>
> TIA
> sts

>                   "There ain't no rules around here!
>                   We're trying to accomplish something"
>                   --Thomas Edison
>
> Scott Sandholm
> Email scott.sandholm at eas.gatech.edu

When a cable works on a hub and not a NIC the cable usually is a straight cable
hub to hub uses a crossover cable?

HUB to HUB crossover or 1 to 3, 2 to 6 pins

HUB to NIC straight through 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 6 to 6

Check your cable and decide.

NIC to NIC also would use crossover.

--
_/  Rob Hoppe