[ale] Multi-port NIC cards?

Sage morrigu_irm at springmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:55:06 EDT 2001

Heyla, everyone!

Problems, problems. We need to set up a 1u or 2u rack mount box to use as a firewall. Everything was okay until the client decided they needed 6, count 'em, SIX network cards in this little bitty box. AND they want them with changeable MAC addressses.

Okay, now I KNOW they are made, because we did a firewall in a box that had them, but that particular client shipped us the box, we didn't have to run down parts and stuff. Problem is, the people we need to talk to there (to find out what they have) are on vacation. Unfortunately, we didn't pay attention to the brand or model number. The cards we saw had 4 ports per card, with two others elsewhere.

I've been to Half Price PC, Ginstar, Vision, Feather, and one other dorky little computer store that I can't remember the name of. They all bitched that these cards don't exist, but I know they do, Bob and I both saw them!

Supposeably, Compaq makes them, but we'd prefer not to use proprietory hardware. Adaptek (Adaptech?) supposeably makes them, but I can't get any info. I'm not even sure how to spell the company name.

Time is running short...can ANYONE PLEASE help?

Here's the rest of the requirements, just FYI;

1u or 2u rack mount case
CDrom
3.5 floppy
64M memory
6 NIC cards with changeable MAC addresses (ACK!)
processor (anything but Celeron, we hates it forever, precious) 300-350MHz
Video card (agp or pci, whatever will fit best)
Keyboard port
Linux supported (Did I really need to say that?)
Must be interchangeable with European power (why do they use 50Hz anyway? And what was that voltage?)

no mouse port, no sound card

Thanks ever so muchly!

-Sage