[ale] a couple dsl questions.

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Tue Jul 24 08:48:19 EDT 2001

Ok, I know I am setting myself up but here goes. I was reading the posts on DSL
vs. Cable and I thought I would ask a question which I have been searching to
find a solution for. I have DSL at my home and I am connected via Win98 (The
part I expect to be flogged for) I did this since I admit to not being a linux
guru, yet. I am running a great little app called WinRoute and have a few
machines behind this. A Win2k box, 2 linux boxes and wifes PC. Anyway, with
WinRoute I am able to do port mapping so I can run a game server, web server and
such on different machines behind the one dynamic IP. Now for my question, I
need an easy way of dynamically updating DNS entries whenever my IP address
changes. Which is usually, on average,  about once every two weeks. I have found
a couple of apps but they try to bind to my DSL connection and WinRoute has to
bind to connection instead. Therefore when I try to run the seond app, my dsl is
dropped.

I do eventually want to switch connection over to a linux box but time is not a
luxury for me and probably will not be until spring. Does anyone have linux
connecting to Bellsouth with a USB modem or will I have to buy an internal modem
to accomplish this task?

Thanks again for the help in advance. You guys always come through!

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570