[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 23 20:44:22 EDT 2001

aaron wrote:

> Previously, Jay Finch typed into the ether:
> > Hey everyone,
> > I know this question has been asked a million and one times, but being that
> > the technology has changed so much in the past few months and I'm only now
> > becoming concerned with it, I wanted some opinions.
> >
> > I've been a Charter Comm. Cable Modem subscriber for about 3 years now, and
> > have had pretty good service.  It's been fairly peppy, but I hate how it
> > goes down when it rains (without fail) and other weird routing and downtime
> > issues.
>
> You obviously know about the difficulties that can crop up with the
> current high speed offerings, so we won't need to repeat too much.
>
> > I just got a notice from BellSouth that I'm (finally!) eligible
> > for DSL service.
>
> You may want to try to find out exactly how far you are from the
> "Central Office" connection. Distance to the C.O. does have a big effect
> on throughput and reliability.
>
> > What I want to know is this: How reliable is DSL vs. Cable?
> >  What about the speeds?
>
> I chose EarthLink/Mindspring last year; I didn't want to just buy into
> the Bell monopoly and Mindspring had, at least at one time, been good to
> deal with for alternative platforms.
>
> ADSL service was a new thing back then, and it took 6 months of trying
> on two different phone lines before I was up. The delays were mostly due
> to BellSouth line noise problems on the first attempt which they
> evenutally jsut refused to address; every difficulty was compounded
> by truly miserable communications and response time for info to filter
> through the layers of Customer<>Installer/E.L.M.<>BellSouth.
> (BTW, Mindspring seems to have ZERO Atlanta customer service presence
> since "merging" with Earthlink, which may be a big part of the problem)
>
> Even when we got my alternative line working the ADSL has been
> marginal. I am apparently on the "fringe" of useful distance from the
> C.O., and DownStream speed has averaged about 288kbps (of a potential
> 1500kbps). The connection was fairly reliable early on, but has
> been inexplicably degrading since, especially of late. Numerous waits on
> hold with customer service have not yielded any significant results; BS
> is "supposed to be" looking into it, that was 3 weeks ago (my most
> recent call).
>
> >  (I generally get 1.5MB download and 128k upload
> > on Cable fairly  consistently, depending on I-net traffic.)
>
> I wish I could think about dreaming of getting the actual bandwidth I'm
> paying for. Though my upload speed is always 256kbps/
>
> > Additionally, I'm using a Linux box as my firewall/gateway, and I have a
> > Static IP with Charter right now.  I know that Mindspring & Bellsouth both
> > use PPPoE with DHCP as a standard, but Mindspring offers a Static IP for
> > $15 extra a month.
> >
> > I want a static IP.  From y'alls experience: Do Mindspring and Bellsouth
> [...]

I have ADSL and I am 36,000 feet from the CO.  I have a MINIRAM in my SLC in the
field.  I am on fiber to the SLC from the CO so distance didn't matter.  The
MINIRAM allows or replicates a DSLAM.  A MINIRAM has 8 ADSL ports on a ATM
(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) setup to the ISP (Mindspring - Earthlink).  I am
5,000? feet from the MINIRAM.  My ADSL works fine and quick!

Rob

--
_/  Rob Hoppe