new slackware was(Re: [ale] Linux at Weather.com)

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sun Jul 22 09:29:29 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:21:39 -0400, phrostie wrote:

>i know the new slackware has XFree 4.x but does it have an option for the
>older 3.3.6?  4.x does not support my favorite modes/hardware.

Yes, it does.  On the Extra disk (if you download the .isos), there is
a /pasture directory which contains (among other things) 3.3.6 X server
packages.  According to the README:

These are the X server packages from XFree86 3.3.6.  If you have a
video card that is not working under XFree86-4.1.x, you can try
installing the appropriate 3.3.6 server on top of your XFree86-4
installation to see if that gets it working.  All of these servers will
work fine with the newer libraries that are installed with
XFree86-4.1.0.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively