[ale] Linux in libraries (a heads-up for June 2002)

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 12:01:29 EDT 2001

Ben Ostrowsky wrote:

> >What software?
>
> Primarily the db that manages library books and who's got 'em.
>
> Top-end library software is remarkably complicated.  It's got functions for:
>
> ACQUISITIONS: Ordering books from different vendors via several different
> electronic interchange standards, managing purchase orders and shipments,
> and automatically notifying vendors of missing items.  Ideally, the process
> of selecting books to buy would be made easier too, with an "Amazon-like"
> service that provides rich information about the titles, authors, etc.

Are these interchange standards realy standards (as opposed to, say,
proprietary specs that everyone happens to use)? Are they
well-documented?

> CATALOGING: Creating data records in the MARC format, a flat file with
> numbered fields some of which are repeatable, all of which can have
> subfields, some of which are repeatable.

That sounds like a nightmare. I take it MARC is primarily an
exchange format? You'd clearly want to use a well-normalized
relational representation internally, and be able to import and
export MARC, it seems to me.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *