[ale] pls sanity check my article

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon Jul 16 15:14:32 EDT 2001

> Number 1:  I did this for a while with an old 386 with two
> 10base-T cards, but
> I couldn't get full 1.5mbit throughput, rather it limited it
> to a few hundred
> kbits...I'd recommend a 486 for cable/dsl, and something with
> PCI, VLB or MCA32
> bus network cards wouldn't hurt.  Oh, and you can use more
> than two network
> cards in this machine, and divide up your network from this
> level, as well,
> allowing different things for different cards with ipchains/iptables.

I can confirm that an ISA/VL bus 486DX/33 with two ISA NICs can NAT firewall
at 1.3Kb/s incoming.  I do not know if the machine in question was the
limiting factor.  A PCI, MCA, or EISA 486 might be able to do better if you
can find the proper NICs.  Were there ever VL NICs?  Were there any machines
with more than one slot (or built-in VL NIC with one available VL slot?

Other ideas you may not have mentioned:

* Print server - Put Samba and lpr on it; print to the same printer from
Linux, Windows, and other OSses
* Fax server
* Beowulf or MOSIX cluster!  I'm working on making a MOSIX cluster out of
junk at the moment, mostly just to show that I can do it!  What will I use
it for?  Who knows?

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT. When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.