[ale] pls sanity check my article

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jul 16 14:44:44 EDT 2001

"David S. Jackson" wrote:

> I would be much obliged if you could give my article a sanity
> check for accuracy.  It's entitled "20 Old Hardware uses for Linux
> Geeks."  I'm not too sure about the processor requirements on
> some of these tasks, and I have stipulated that you need 486 or
> lower-end pentium for them, but if you find any of the article
> misleading, please let me know.

> 3. Telephone messaging device. Needs a voice modem.

I'm about to move my existing fax modem to a 486 box.  It will join an
existing voice modem there.  Right now, I use mgetty to reject faxes I
don't want, primarily by area code, but also anything that doesn't show
a number (private # or out of area).  It also pops up a window that
displays the name and # of the incoming fax.  I'll be doing something
similar with the other modem for my voice mail.  It will pop up a window
as well as using festival to 'vocally' announce the caller.  I'm also
going to have it send me email on my cell phone with the caller name and
number.

Isn't technology cool?

You didn't mention building a pentium II class beowulf cluster from a
bunch of 486s. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein