[ale] Probably a dumb zip question.

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Mon Jul 16 13:56:11 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> I am needing to unzip some *.zip files. Is there a way to do this and not affect
> attributes of file? I have been downloading files to windows, unzipping them and
> trying to FTP them back to my linux box but windows is altering the files
> somehow. Linux box is secluded from rest of network and I have all but a few
> ports closed. So, I need to download the zip files directly to Linux and unzip
> them.

Windows has no concept of file permissions (well, win9x anyways), and even NT
can't handle file permissions that aren't NT file permissions.

Additionally, when you transfer a file over FTP, it doesn't retain permissions
as the FTP server assigns permissions based on what your login is, and what the
config file for the ftp server tells it to do.

You should be able to just type 'unzip <filename>.zip' on the linux box.  As
long as you zipped them on another linux box, the file permissions/attributes
should be preserved.

> There are no files containing what I need in a gzip format as I have
> looked. Is there a way? How??

Where are the files coming from?  What is the problem you're running into?
What attributes are lost?

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe at softhome.net