[ale] media formats under Linux? HELP HELP!!

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Jul 10 11:22:46 EDT 2001

Cade Thacker writes:
 > Hello,
 > I REALLY needs you guys/gals help in an _VERY_ important document I am
 > compiling for a VP of my company. I am compiling a report on media format
 > support under linux for my job, and I was hoping that I could get some
 > input so that I can get a full acurate report instead of me just finding
 > what I can and maybe missing something. Basically the usage of these
 > formats would be for a browser kiosk system.
 >
 > The formats in question are:
 >
 > WMA

Support available from MS for embedded devices.  You have to build
your own player.

 > Word doc (for viewing only, abiword?)

AbiWord, StarOffice, and KWord (the new beta) offer some support.
StarOffice is the best.  Abiword doesn't do tables.

 > ASF

Support available from MS for embedded devices.  You have to build
your own player.

 > MPEG

Multiple implementations available.

 > RAM

Supported on Linux by Real Networks.  Supported formats often lag
behind other platforms.

 > MOV

Some support for QuickTime from xmovie, xanim and others.  The
Sorenson codec for QT 4 is not supported and unlikely to be supported
anytime soon.

 > MP3 (is xmms best?)

Tons of support.  xmms, mp3123, pure java (JMF), ...

 > WAV (also xmms?)

Yup.  Everything plays that.

 > PDF (xPDF?, ghostview?)

Those sork.  So does acroread from Adobe.

 > SWF

I don't know that acronym--at least not in this context :)

--Michael